Lighthouse

  • 140

The Galle Fort Lighthouse which is also popular as as Pointe de Galle Light is situated inside the rampart towards the south part of the wall.

This location is the recorded Sri Lanka's oldest light station. The first Lighthouse was built in 1848 by the British was located about 100 metres away from the current site and destroyed by fire in 1934 and then the existing 87 ft high lighthouse was built in 1939.

Now the Lighthouse is maintained by the Sri Lanka Ports Authority and it gives a full view of any ships entering Galle Harbour.