media.timeout.com - Time Out
Batticaloa Fort was built by the Portugese in 1628 and only used it for 10 years till the Dutch took over it in 1638. Being used by the Dutch for 107 years the British took over the fort in 1745. The fort was surrounded by the Batticaloa lagoon, the Indian ocean and a lake towards the inland. The fort is still being used to house the government administrative offices.
Though large sections of the fort have undergone various damages, the massive stone walls, and the remains still reminisces the colonial era. The main entrance of the fort is guarded by two English Cannons. There is a history book in front of the fort which includes all the important historical events. Inside the fort there are old colonial buildings, a ruined bell tower, remains of watchtowers and English cannons. Views across the lagoon and the Kallady bridge are magnificent.
The fort is open from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.